This essay focuses on a medical mission to Mauritania. Mauritania’s culture is dominated by Moorish and Berber traditions and is quite different from what the American nurses were used to.
Alternative Assignment #2 (anticipate 8-10 hours)
Case Study: Three young nurses joined a medical mission to Mauritania, a country in West Africa. Mauritania’s culture is dominated by Moorish and Berber traditions and is quite different from what the American nurses were used to. When the nurses arrived in the village to which they had been assigned, they immediately noticed that the girls were all morbidly obese.
They agreed that the first challenge would be to teach these people how to lose weight! As the days passed and the nurses treated patients in the local clinic, each thought about the problem they first encountered and how they might help the girls in the village deal with it.
She brought in pamphlets and books, intending to distribute them to her patients.
Few seemed interested in the materials. In the evening she noticed that some of the villagers used the pamphlets as kindling for their cooking fires.
The second nurse, Kelly, thought it was terrible how obese women were in this village, and thought they were just lazy! In the afternoon she taught exercise classes. She also set an example for the girls by inviting them along when she ran each morning. She taught the importance of keeping trim to anyone who would listen. For reasons she could not understand, her classes were not well attended and every morning she ran alone.
Women learn that obesity makes them more appealing to a potential mate. Donna has determined that weight loss is not an appropriate health education topic for the young women of Mauritania.
1) Describe the geographical location, history, political/social culture, environmental circumstances, and health status of Mauritania (Search CDC and/or WHO websites).
2) Identify three/more potential or actual health problems for the population.
3) Select one appropriate health education topic based on your identified health needs.
4) Identify your target population for the education.
5) Develop a 15-20-minute lesson plan for your selected topic.
6) Deliver lesson to friend(s)/family via phone or Zoom.
7) Describe outcome and steps to improvement the next presentation of the lesson.
Format your assignment in one of the manners listed:
· 8-15 slide presentation with speaker notes about your findings.
· 15-20- minute oral presentation describing your findings and a description of the teaching session presented. Include your steps for improvement for the next teaching session.
· 1050-1700- word paper.
Firstly, Learning objectives
Thirdly, Instructional method
Further, Materials needed
Moreover, Time allotted
Finally, Evaluation/changes recommended
Submit your assignment to the Week 5 Alternative Assignment Tab before the end of the course.