This essay focuses on an important but silent or hidden role.Many of these roles are positive. However, most students enter a microbiology class only hearing about how there is “this epidemic”, or “this infection going around”, or “stay out of the water” or “don’t eat this food”.
Microbes in The News As we learned in Week 1, it is hard to think of examples in life in which microbes do not play an important but silent or hidden role. Many of these roles are positive. However, most students enter a microbiology class only hearing about how there is “this epidemic”, or “this infection going around”, or “stay out of the water” or “don’t eat this food”. We hear about this based on a problem in our lives, the lives of someone we love, where we work, or on the news when reading a paper, watching TV or browsing the internet. But is this information correct or complete? It is this aspect of learning about microbiology that we want to illustrate this week. This week, you will discuss a MICROBE IN THE NEWS! For your main discussion post:
· Please choose a microbe from the list below for your main discussion post! This microbe has been in the news in the past year.
· You must provide a written review of a major news article focusing on your chosen microbe as your primary discussion!
· Find a main stream, media-based, mass-distributed news source where even Grandma gets her news, that reported your chosen microbe within the past year, as your main reference. Tell us the contents of this news articles in your own words, paraphrasing but remembering to provide the reference in text and in your list in APA format.
· You may use government-based or other scholarly references only as secondary information, to explain details missing above, such as, what kind of organism it is, the gram reaction, how the organism affects us, or follow -up information not known at the time of the news release but has been provided since that time .
Repeat posts on the same organism are not permitted. To post your main discussion you will Reply to your topic intent post.
You may choose any of the following microbes:
1. Firstly, Batrachochytrium salamandivorus
2.Secondly, Bordetella pertussis
3.Thirdly, Borrelia burgdorferi (and B. mayoni)
4.Further, Candidatus liberibacter asiaticus
5.In addition, Cryptosporidium parvum
6. Moreover, Enterococcus faecium, E. faecalis, E. gallinarium, Vancomycin Resistant (VRE)
7.Moreover, Influenza Virus, Strain H1N1 (Swine Flu)
8.In addition, Influenza Virus, Strains H7N9 and H5N1 (Bird Flu)
9.In addition, Karenia brevis
10. Lastly, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Carbapenem Resistant (CRE, KPC)
11. Legionella pneumophila
12. Leptospira interrogans
13. Listeria monocytogenes
14. Microcystis aeruginosa
15. Mycobacterium chimaera
18. Respiratory Syncytial Virus
19. Rubeola Virus (Measles)
20. Rubulavirus (Mumps)
21. Salmonella enteritidis
22. Staphylococcus aureus, Methicillin Resistant (MRSA)
23. Vibrio vulnificus
24. West Nile Virus
25. Xylella fastidiosa
26. Yersinia pestis
You must write a review of the news article contents, discuss what type of microorganism it is, and if the organism is in nature or is used in industry or causes disease. If it causes disease you must discuss transmission, increasing incidence, factors contributing to the spread of the organism, lab culturing, etc.